Cruise Travel – What To Pack?
Cruise Travel – A Packing Guide
If you’ve booked a cruise travel holiday and are eagerly looking forward to it and beginning to plan what you’ll pack and where you’ll visit, then you may find yourself wondering what to pack for a cruise holiday?
Well, obviously every cruise is different, and you should always check with your cruise travel company if there is a specific dress code, especially for the evenings on-board.
These are just a few of the things I deem to be essentials whilst on a cruise travel holiday:
- Adaptors – One of the best pieces of advice I can give you is to ensure you check what plug outlets are on-board your cruise ship. Many cruise ships have American style plugs, some have European, and few have British plug outlets. Check first and pack the appropriate adaptors and then you won’t have to worry about running out of battery on your digital camera and not being able to photograph the beautiful places you visit.
- Appropriate dinner wear – As I said, always check the dress code of your cruise company. Some cruise travel companies are very relaxed, and don’t operate any specific dress code for dinner, whereas others enforce strict dress codes. If you’re travelling on a ship which has formal nights on-board then ensure you pack appropriate clothing for the occasion.
- Reading material – On days at sea, one of my favourite things to do is to grab a great book, find a quiet spot on the deck and whittle away a few hours devouring something interesting. I think it’s one of the best ways to spend a day at sea.
- Sunglasses – Even on cloudy days, the sun can be very bright due to the reflections created in the sea. Sunglasses are a must if you’re looking forward to spending some time on deck enjoying nice weather, or keeping lookout as you sail into a new port of call.
- Sportswear – Many modern cruise ships have fully equipped gyms and gym classes such as Zumba, yoga, pilates and spin. Some ships even have rock climbing walls, tennis courts and basketball courts. Ensure you’ve packed appropriate sportswear so you can take advantage of these features if you’re a lover of staying active while on holiday.
- Sunscreen – the sun is a lot stronger out at sea because of the reflection from the water. Be sensible and wear plenty of sunscreen at all times. Always remember to reapply frequently too!
Is there anything that you can’t cruise without?
Emma shares all of her travel adventures, tips and advice on her two websites Emma’s Travel Tales and Emma On Board, as well as writing for a number of other online publications. She has also partnered with many large companies and tourism boards around the world. She’s busy making memories around the world
I’m Emma, a twenty-something Scottish girl who’s obsessed with travel.
I’ve been to 38 countries so far and had some incredible adventures around the world.
My passion for travel and writing led me to create my person blog Emma’s Travel Tales.